Monday, November 13, 2017

Space to think creatively

Talk about famous last words...

Saturday morning started as most weekend mornings do around here: with a mug of tea and some reading material to accompany it.

Curiously, the colour-coordinated state of my weekend reading was quite coincidental.
Two magazines (Uppercase and Wallpaper) and a book (Barbara Hanrahan: printmaker) arranged on a bed with white bedding.
But it obviously stuck in my head, because as the usual postcards that come with Uppercase magazine fell out when I opened it, I thought of a Formica table top. (I've used these postcards before and have a stash waiting for the right scenes...)

And suddenly there I was on Saturday morning (even before I'd made brunch), pulling together the germ of a new scene (flat-lay style): a co-working space, something I've not thought of before.

I used a number of bits and pieces I had banging round in stash, plus some new pieces picked up from here and there:
Flat lay of various items in yellow, black and white, mainly in one-twelfth scale miniature.
I knew I had a couple of dining table kits picked up from JWT, and figured one would be the perfect base for what I'd planned. Except while pulling together the flat lay, I included the stools that came with my Lori Loft to Love. Which meant there had to be some kit-bashing in my future if the table was going to fit the stools.
Pieces for a one-twelfth scale dining table kit, including glue, toothpick and patterned paper for the tabletop, all laid out on a cutting mat.
In the end, I only used five of the pieces included in the kit: and re-cut the legs using the balsa dowel I bought to make the extra tea tins to turn into planters. In retrospect, I'm not actually sure why I used the kit: except perhaps to get it off the list of unused kits. And as a springboard.

While waiting for the glue to dry on my new table, I played with the items from my flat lay: in the build you've seen many times before:
One-twelfth scale modern miniature co-working space with tables, chairs, storage drawers and a divider made of breeze blocks.
(with the added challenge of not turning it into Buzz Bar Cafe mark II...)
One-twelfth scale modern miniature office break-out space in bright colours with a kitchen in the background and seating and coffee tables in the foreground.
 It was about this time that I realised that the scene was actually turning into some sort of poster child for making miniatures from everyday items: the ottoman is from a stash gifted to me by Taph many many moons ago. The rug is an upholstery sample courtesy of Catherine. And the coffee table? A spray paint can lid (Hah! Anyone remember this?)
Aerial view of a one-twelfth scale modern miniature ottoman and coffee table with a laptop and a coffee on it.
But that's not all: in the kitchen area are hexagonal tiles made from reflective safety tape I picked up at Pete's Emporium, and the bowl is from an alarm clock courtesy of Typo's scratch and dent table
One-twelfth scale modern miniature still life with a water jug, bowl and pepper grinder against a wall of hexagonal tiles.
The good news is that the table is complete*:
One-twelfth scale modern miniature high work table with white wooden legs and a yellow printed top. Around it are yellow high stools.
The bad news is that I think I need to add some struts to the bottom. And I've run out of the undercoat I used to paint it with...

(*aka blog ready: you may have noticed that the paper is not actually attached to the top yet!)

2 comments :

elbey said...

I love the way you always include links to previous posts. I get to enjoy them all over again xx

AMCSviatko said...

Thanks elbey!