Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Gascoigne at Goulburn Gallery was great!

In the Canberra Times art magazine a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that there was a Rosalie Gascoigne exhibition on at the Goulburn Regional Art Gallery, which is a mere hour up the road.

I love me some Rosalie Gascoigne about as much as I love me some Alex Asch, so of course I had to go. And since I have no job, I could go any time I wanted :-D

Today was the day, and friend Tina joined me for the trip. And, being such mature grown-up people, our first stop in town was a selfie in front of the bum of The Big Merino
Two women posing in front of the bottom of the Giant Merino in Goulburn.
(which I shared on Facebook with the title 'Yum yum, sheep's bum, road trips are great fun!'). Yep: completely adult.

Seriously though, I thoroughly enjoyed the exhibition
Entry sign for The Daylight Moon: an exhibition of Rosalie Gascoigne's  work, showing at Goulburn Regional Art Gallery.
 (especially as we'd drive past Lake George to get there. And had the place to ourselves...)
A woman standing in front of work at The Daylight Moon: an exhibition of Rosalie Gascoigne's  work, showing at Goulburn Regional Art Gallery.
Two works at The Daylight Moon: an exhibition of Rosalie Gascoigne's  work, showing at Goulburn Regional Art Gallery.
The day got better when I discovered the children's room at the end of the gallery, which invited us to 'create your own Rosalie Gascoigne inspired [sic] collage and add it to our group work'.
The children's room at The Daylight Moon, with a sign inviting people to 'create their own Rosalie Gascoigne inspired works.
As we read, our plans to visit the local op shops before we had to return home faded away.
A woman selecting paper for her collage in the children's room at The Daylight Moon exhibition.
A woman cutting paper for her collage in the children's room at The Daylight Moon exhibition.
 I decided to photograph my pieces with the works that inspired them...
A woman holding up her collage in front of a work by Rosalie Gascoigne in The Daylight Moon exhibition.
A woman holding up her collage in front of a work by Rosalie Gascoigne in The Daylight Moon exhibition.
 And, finally, I just had to make a miniature-sized work
A selection of pieces of paper, scissors and a glue stick arranged on a table top.
which I had to play with once I got home.

The first thing I spotted in the stash when I started looking for inspiration for the scene (because one more 'desk and stuff' or 'sofa and stuff' scene would probably put me to sleep) was this chair from Minisx2:
Modern dolls' house miniature collage art work hanging on a black wall. In front of it is an art chair.
And, as sometimes happens, the whole story for the scene fell into place. It was a gallery shop, of course! (And what a long time since I've done a gallery...)
Modern dolls' house miniature collage art work hanging on a black wall. In front of it is an art chair. On the left is a cabinet  with a wooden pear on top of it.
And, as happens, things seemed to just jump out of various storage spaces, demanding to join in the fun:
Modern dolls' house miniature display wall in a gallery. A collage art work is hanging on a black wall. In front of it is an art chair. On the left is a cabinet  with a wooden pear, fish and chair on top of it, and a table and wooden art work next to it. In the cabinet are a selection of items including a wooden ampersand tile, a modern tray, wooden bowls and a book safe.
new things. Old things. And things that have been waiting in stash for a while for the perfect setting.
Modern dolls' house miniature display wall in a gallery. On display are a wooden pear, fish and chair, and wall plaque.
Modern dolls' house miniature glass-fronted display cupboard containing a modern wooden tray, an ampersand tile, two pieces of wood turning, and a book safe.
 They all suddenly working. Perfectly.
Modern dolls' house miniature plinth in a gallery, showing three pieces of turned woodwork.
Modern dolls' house miniature plinth in a gallery, showing a wooden case with removable lid and drawer.
 If I had money, I'd shop here.
Modern dolls' house miniature gallery, showing various wooden furniture and homeware pieces displayed on plinths, in a glass-fronted  cupboard, and on the wall.
 Wouldn't you?

4 comments :

Petra1945 said...

Anna Maria... I LIKE this! My kind of scene.
Alas, I myself do not make scenes, or at least not this kind.

Are you actively looking for a new job, or can you manage without? I missed your miniature posts quite a lot, these months... it's great you are back on line in earnest.

Pernille.

Mad For Mod said...

I would definitely shop there! Love the bum selfie! We all know butts are funny! It looks like you had a great time!

AMCSviatko said...

Hermannus: Thank you for your kind comments. I missed blogging, too and am happy to have the mental capacity and time to devote to it again.

As for a new job: let's just say I'm looking for an income stream or streams to cover living expenses. Not sure at this stage if it needs to be a traditionally shaped 'job', but am definitely open to ideas.

I'm good For the moment,as I planned in advance, when things got horrible at work last year, and saved up to 25% of each pay into my emergency fund to give me a buffer.

By living fabulously and frugally (even if that included a trip overseas) has meant I've been able to eke out my final pay to cover the last two months and so haven't needed to touch the emergency fund yet...

AMCSviatko said...

Mad: It was a brilliant day, and it looks like I might get another exhibition out of it :-)