Sunday, October 26, 2008

Seven Things Spring/ Summer 2008 Week 8: Enough

Mae West famously said ""Too much of a good thing can be wonderful".

And William Morris said "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful"

I often use both quotes but over the past week or so, after helping a friend get rid of 95% of her possessions before she moved overseas, I'm realising they may be the crux of my ongoing fight with clutter.


You see, I find many many things useful and/or beautiful. And when they only cost a dollar or two it's way too easy to bring them home from the op shop. It's something I'll be working on when I have enough time. (There's that word again!)

I knew fairly early on this week that I wasn't going to hit target (again), basically because I didn't have the time to go through things like I do most weeks (and no, it wasn't just because I was spending my time shopping...) I consoled myself by remembering I do this 6 months out of the year so there will always be weeks where things don't go according to plan, and, besides, failure is often much more interesting than week after week of success. (Besides, I wasn't the only one)

In:
* 2 books, 1 DVD, 1 box and 1 vintage pill vial, 1 book, 1 MPlayer (
Sunday's buying frenzy)
* 2 (black and white) cat toys (undocumented extras from Sunday)
*
4 vintage black and white daisy containers, 1 large white heart button (gift from Janet)
*
1 miniature cross stitch picture (from my Grandmother)
* 1 vintage copy of Rumer Godden's The Dolls' House (eBay)
*
7 Johnson Brothers fruit plates, a huge pile of wool (1200 grams in total) which I'll call 11 balls and 3 projects' worth, 1 CD holder, 1 wooden animal ornament thingy (op shop)
* 1 book and a banded ball of Anny Blatt Gardenia (another op shop)
* 1 Wallpaper magazine (newsagents)
* 1 white wire storage thingy (gift)
* 2 (more projects) worth of cheap Caressa (plus one random ball I didn't realise I'd bought until too late) from Kmart Marrickville. Bought in a sort of "
I want to join in too" frenzy which resulted in a major case of buyer's remorse back in the car. Until Princess B and friend told me to shut up as it was only $20...

Total In this week: *gulp* 47

Out:

* 1 iron and water jug, 1pair very dead shoes, 1 broken chubb lock: bin
* 1 Real Simple magazine: gift to a colleague plus 3 Real Simple magazines: Lifeline Bookfair

* Sydney cushion cover which I bought thinking I'd make it into a bag (it'll never happen): back to the op shop
* Joke present hand held sewing machine: also back to the op shop

Total Out this week: 10

Shake-it-all-about:

* 3 lounge socks knitted for friend's birthday presents (that's three socks, not three pairs)

Net items out so far during Seven Things Spring/ Summer 2008: 50

Oh, and I forgot to mention last week that
PinkLil is playing along this month...

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I love and find useful too many things.. as you do..
and never have time to use or enjoy them..
sometimes they never are able to go to the places they were meant to..
and there is a change..in the house.. and that specific point.. is displaced.. and the object is not suitable anymore..

so I decided.. "not to buy until everything is used.."
and I find these.. in and out posts in your blog..
a great co-sustainder for my will... thank you..

this time there is a big discrepancy.. 47 to 10..
but the cross stich.. the egg cups.. and all the other stuff.. were so special.. that you have to forgive yourself.. =)
love .. from istanbul..
pinar