Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The Futuro's so bright, I gotta wear shades

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)So here's the wee treasure that's been just a hop skip and a jump down the road from me for the 10 years that I've lived here. Boy do I feel like a doofus!

Apparently only about a hundred of these
Futuro Homes designed by Finnish Matti Suuronen were ever made. (And according to the article in New Zealand Home and Entertaining, of the 60 remaining 12 are in New Zealand)
This one is at
The Canberra Space Dome and Observatory at The Downer Club (which is apparently owned by Dickson Tradies). My sources tell me it's closed, which is a pity as I wanted to pop down and take some photos inside it.When did this Futuro arrive in Dickson? Where from?

I feel a quest coming on to learn more about this and other Futuros in Australia and New Zealand before they all disappear...

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherpa - I feel I must tell you that the Futura was first displayed in Canberra in 1972 as a potential style of housing for locals. It didn't become popular as such , and was some years later ( the early 80's) painted bright red and turned into a local real estate agents mobile office.

Cherry ・ チェリー ・ 체리  said...

Whoa random! What is it? Kinda cool its randomly there though