Thursday, January 10, 2008

I'll huff and I'll puff...

My trip to Ruapehu, September 1995:Kinda put me off skiing for life.

And cruising past Krakatoa, December 2007:I have to say I was a little unsettled after my previous experience with close proximity to volcanoes. A bit concerned I might have started a tradition: Me + volcano= big explosion. Which would not have been a good way to end my holiday.
.
I appeased my sense of unease by deciding that dying while on a cruise ship in a massive volcanic explosion was a pretty good way to go. And besides, since we weren't allowed to get closer than this we were probably pretty safe.

Still don't understand why everyone was so excited by it though. It was a volcano. Puffing a bit of smoke. So?

Maybe it's because I'm a Kiwi and therefore volcanoes are pretty ho hum...

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

It'd beat being an old age pensioner rotting away forgotten in your grimey flat, wouldn't it?

Taphophile said...

Cor - what a fab photo! It'd be a great way to go.

AMCSviatko said...

Hurumph! I'll have you know I especially cleaned my flat over the Christmas break!

Casp said...

I actually think you're brave going on a cruise - I'd be nervous after the whole Diane Brimble saga. I hope your cruse didn't have any suspect types.

AMCSviatko said...

Hi Casp

After having to google Diane Brimble all I can say is this:

Thinking statistically, what are the chances of that happening? ie: How many ships does P&O have sailing at any one time? With how many passengers in total? Multiplied by the number of cruises a year and then add all the other cruise ships owned by all the other cruise lines sailing at the same time and all those passengers and you realise something like the Diane Brimble case is a very very rare thing indeed. In some way it may be safer to be at sea than on shore.

Oh - and P&O were always known as "The party ships" so there would have been more overdrinking and bad behaviour generally I suspect. I've also heard that shorter cruises tend to be rowdier than longer ones as people are out to "make the most of it". I was told once by a bartender on RCCL that the longer cruises tend to attract older people who have the money and the time to take them.

:-)