Thursday, June 07, 2007

... and on Day Seven, she spent

Don't panic, 'cause here's what I bought:

From the supermarket:

* Toilet paper
* Milk (organic - hell that's some expensive milk but I figured as part of this fiscal detox I may as well go all the way)
* Yoghurt (plain, biodynamic)

Total: $11.36

I found the supermarket to be large, colourful and very very overwhelming. Maybe next week I'll walk the 15-20 minutes to the local IGA instead.Later in the morning I was in town for work and remembered it was Thursday, which means the markets were on down in City Walk, right next to Matthew Harding’s newly replaced pods, one of my favorite bits of public art in Canberra (after the pears, of course!)I checked - everything was grown within 100 km of Canberra except the citrus fruit.

From the markets:

* 2 kilos potatoes (with dirt on them! Amazing!)
* 1 kilo onions
* 1 small butternut pumpkin
* 500g tomatoes
* 1 red pepper
* 1 Lebanese cucumber
* 1 kilo apples (with leaves attached. But no stickers. Curiouser and curiouser... Do you think there's a leaf-attaching machine they've bought?)

Total: $15.50I still need eggs and garlic, but it looks like I'll be able to get away with spending $30 on groceries for the week.

Breakfast: Cup of tea (a little late), berry Oat Temptations (to celebrate the arrival of milk supplies)

Lunch: Wholegrain toast with hummus and slices of very yummy fresh tomato (have been craving this for days)

Afternoon tea: Hot chocolate (at this rate the milk will be gone by tomorrow...) and popcorn

Dinner: Often on Thursdays I'll either go across and get a Thai lunchbox from The Thai Garden or a box of noodles from Noodle Choice.

Today I got clever and at lunchtime popped the remaining tofu from Tuesday into a modified marinade recipe from Alison Holst (minus the garlic and oregano, as I was out of both) and tonight stir fried it with red pepper, carrot, frozen corn, the last of the broccoli and threw in some udon noodles at the end. And wondered why I'd not done it before as it was super delicimo!

Finished today:

* Sesame oil (Replacing it'll have to wait - pity as when I poured it into the marinade a little voice said "Hey! would that work in homemade hummus instead of tahini?" Damn. Too late!)
* Tofu (I think buying tofu is justifiable. Although I could just follow the Whip Up tutorial and make my own...)
* Brocolli (On the list for next week's shop)

Total spent since June 1: $26.86

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Oh I'd forgotten about that tiny Thursday market - I used to recycle my glass jars to the jam lady there.

Taphophile said...

Ooh, dinner sounds lovely.

Tofu is totally justifiable.

AMCSviatko said...

seepi - that's a good idea, much better than just chucking them in the recycling bin. Next time I'm there I'll see what she wants :-)

Denise said...

You've done very well! I didn't know there were in City Walk... looks like you got a good haul :)

I love the pears too, I have a magnet of them on my fridge. The pods are brilliant too, though!

Denise said...

MARKETS is clearly the missing word in the above post...

Taphophile said...

We are always in the market for smallish jars here at Chez Taph. You get some of what we put in them in return.

Next on the preserve menu - stuff involving lemons.